Thursday, April 15, 2010

Community

So for school we have chapel 2 times a week. It is pretty stinking amazing most of the time, especially since this is a worship service where I am not in charge of anything. Sometimes I like being able to listen to what other people have prepared. ANYWAY, the speaker we had on Tuesday had some things to say about service and worshiping. He was actually preaching from the story of Martha getting mad at Mary for sitting at Jesus' feet while she was doing things around the house (Luke 10:38-42). One of the things he said that I quickly wrote down on my had so I would remember to think about was "If community is our goal, then we have the wrong goal." In my mind I was thinking "whoa wait a minute! We have tons of books on community in the Church and small groups and all that! What do you mean community is not the goal?! Have you not read Acts 2?" As he continued talking and as I started to really think about it I saw that he was right. God must know I have a lot to learn about this subject because it was in our chapel, We discussed it in class today, and I have really been struggling with it. The speaker's point was that Jesus is our goal. Mary had the right attitude. She was sitting at the feet of Jesus, that was more important to her than anything else. She wanted to learn from the Man who had everything to teach. Mary was placing Jesus in the right spot in her life, something that many of us today struggle with. We have small groups, and we meet together with others not just so we can. The Church should not be some glorified country club. We have so much more to offer the world than just a close group of friends. Don't get me wrong it is super nice to have a close group of friends to go through life together but the point in the Church is that we are focusing on Jesus and working our way towards Him. As a body, or as a community we love Jesus, we place Him as number one in our lives and we let Him transform us through His Word and through His body. This last year at Bible college has been hard. Now that I am off campus, I feel so far removed from the group of people I had grown close to. I am no longer surrounded every part of the day by people who are working toward the same cause. It was that community, that close bond with other Christians that was so amazing and so helpful during hard times. We should strive to have community in our lives. Humans are designed for community. As Christians that is how the body of Christ works. Let us not remove ourselves from other Christians, let us work together as the body to come closer to the life that God has designed us for. Let us build each other up, and let us seek Him now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment